WHAT'S FUELING YOU?
Do you know what you should be eating pre and post workout?
If you want to get the most out of your workout and gain the best results, then having a look at how you are fueling your body, both before and after, is important!
What you eat before your workout depends on how intense you intend to train and for how long. But one thing is for sure, you will be more efficient in your workout if you have the fuel to support your body. So ideally you will focus on carbohydrate and protein sources that will provide you with both short and long term energy. When looking at your carb sources you want both simple and complex carbs so that you can get the energy you need straight away, plus the slow release energy you need to keep going. Avoiding fatty foods is a good idea as these tend to make you a little more sluggish and can hinder your energy levels. Aim to eat at least half an hour beforehand so that you have already started to digest your food and are able to start gaining the nutritional benefits.
Some great combo suggestions for pre-workout snack/meal include:
- Apple wedges with nut butter
- Greek yogurt with trail mix (mixed seeds, nuts and dried fruits)
- Oatmeal, yogurt and fruit
- Breakfast smoothies - With ingredients such as yogurt, nuts, banana, cinnamon, oats, berries etc.
After your workout your body goes into recovery mode, where it is working to repair torn muscle fibers, so you need a nutrient dense meal to accommodate this hard work. Ideally this is the time to get your extra protein punch, so that you have all the amino acids needed to build and repair.
Some delicious combos that will provide you with the nutrients you need include:
- Grilled chicken and roasted vegetables
- Vegetable filled omelette, with avocado salad
- Baked salmon with steamed sweet potato and green salad
- Hummus and assorted vegetable sticks
Click here to view the original post at https://www.emilyskye.com/blog